Are you looking to expand your historical horizons through intriguing historical discussion, meaningful debate, and exchange of ideas in a renaissance social setting? Do you want to connect with other like-minded, interesting people who enjoy late period topics? The goal of Ca’ d’ora is to facilitate those exact things at Gulf Wars XXV. If you would like to host a session at Ca’ d’Oro simply submit your demo/discussion idea via the Salon Google Form.
Gulf Wars XXV
Can you imagine the splendor and luxury of a late period social salon? Imagine no more. At Gulf Wars XXV there will be Ca’ d’Oro (House of Gold) Renaissance Salon, a gathering place in which your most noble courtier fantasies will be realized. No other Palazzina or Ridotto in the Known World shall rival this Salon.
Citizens, Visitors, Lords, Ladies, Nobles, Royals, Bards, and Peers enter… and recline in a Savonarola chair, play a game on a handmade trestle table, sip on sparkling Italian wine, and revel in the delightful conversations found in the confines of Ca’ d’Oro. Take your pick of invigorating debate with other late period gentles, sip on a custom herbal tea prepared by the on-site apothecary, relax to the melodious sounds of our trio of musicians, or play a game of Bassetta….inside the veil of Ca’ d’Oro.
During the Italian Renaissance the custom of providing people the opportunity to socialize in a politically safe environment was a revived from the Greco-Roman examples and salons became important centers of artistic innovation. Salon, from the French word salon (a living room or parlor), means a conversational gathering. Usually it was a select group of intellectuals, artists and notable citizens who met in the private residence of a socially influential person. Numerous wealthy women have presided over salons in Italy, France, and England since the 15th century.
At a time when women were expected to cultivate their needlepoint and knitting skills, Salons served as an informal university for women who wanted to learn more. Although hosted by women, the speakers asked to address various topics were men — as these were considered the “learned” people of the day. Soon, men and women of the bourgeoisie began attending Salons as a way to seek the same educational opportunities previous afforded only to the wealthy and noble classes. These Salons offered patrons a venue to exchange ideas, read or show one’s own works, and receive/offer criticism.
The inspiration for Ca’ d’Oro Renaissance Salon comes from 15th and 16th century Italian Salons made famous by Laura Cereta, Isabella d’Este, and Elisabetta Gonzaga, literary women of the day. They created their salons as a setting for clever conversation and informal socializing. These salons were attended by renowned figures of their time.
We invite you to attend our Renaissance Salon; join us to…
- Enjoy high-quality connections, instead of high-speed ones: In our socially cyber-connected world we’ve lost the art and capability to connect emotionally with meaningful interactions that stimulate our hearts and minds. Ca’ d’Oro will nurture this fundamental human need to promote a better quality of life.
- Open your mind to new perspectives: Like the 16th century Salons, our demos and discussions will focus on topics such as the Sciences, Arts, Literature, Fashion, and History. You could attend an discussion covering insightful topics such as “Elizabethan Medicine,” “Renaissance Cosmetics”, “Landsknecht Fashion”, “Italian Authors”, or even the “History of Champagne”!
- Participate in a thriving community of curious-minded members: Come and converse, debate and connect in a live social setting with people, just like you, who crave that stimulation of genuine, authentic conversation. This is networking in the purest sense – without phones, social media or cyberspace. Just real people and real dialogues.
- Seek out personal enrichment: Revitalize your mind, express yourself, and enjoy a whole new experience that will leave you feeling fulfilled and energized.
- Meet and socialize with other intelligent, inspiring living history participants: Unplug and connect in an atmosphere of history, sophistication and spirited discussion – while enjoying culinary delights and thoughtfully chosen music.